Located in the Municipality of Delta, on the Fraser River, near 90th Avenue and 114th Street. It originally was the point of origin of the Kennedy Trail and later the site of a fish cannery. It was one of the first settlement centres south of the Fraser River.
An Island in the Fraser River bordering Langley and north of 200th Street and accessed by 104th avenue. It is a dyked island that is predominantly agricultural, with a small park and a small First Nation’s Reserve. It is accessed by 104th Avenue and a small free ferry.
A road leading from Highway 99, west through the Semiahmoo First Nations’ Reserve. The road replaced that section of the Semiahmoo Road that the Great Northern Railway built its right of way upon as part of its sea line route. The road swung north near the mouth of the Campbell River to terminate at a bridge, presently a foot–bridge, at the base of Stayte Road, 160th Street.(See Pre–settlement Trails)
A tributary creek of the Serpentine River. It drains North Surrey from the south Whalley, Green Timbers, and Fleetwood.
A City park near the head waters of Bear Creek. It has a large tract of undeveloped land as well as a sports field, athletic track, and Surrey Arts Centre. It is an important recreational area for central Surrey.
Is a large tract of low lying land west of Barnston Island, and separated from the uplands of Surrey by the Canadian National Railway tracks. The area is subject to flooding during the spring freshet on the Fraser. It is considered a regional park.
A district of Surrey, north of the Guildford Town Centre, where the streets and avenues are named after various types of birds, giving the district a distinctive character.
The original name for Crescent Beach. Walter Blackie bought the pre–emption and built a cabin on the west end of the beach berm. The area presently known as Blackie’s Spit is a public conservation area north of the residential area.(See Crescent Beach)
Located on the Fraser River, it was a station on the New Westminster Southern Railway. Paddle wheeler steam ships would nose ashore on one of the stops while ascending the Fraser. When the Canadian Northern Railway bought the right–of–way of the New Westminster Southern along the Fraser the location and the station was named Port Mann.(See The Railway Era)
An early settlement established by three Bothwell brothers; James, Thomas and William who arrived from Montreal about 1885. The settlement is centered on the northern headwaters of the Serpentine River. This is south of the present junction of 96th Avenue (Townline Road) and 168th Street (Coast Meridian Road). The Bothwell brothers attempted to have the Canadian Post Office recognize the community by name of “Bothwell", but this name was turned down since there was already a “Bothwell" in Ontario. They settled on the name Tynehead since the community was located at the headwaters of the Serpentine River.(See Tynehead)
The body of water bounding Surrey and Delta to the north and Point Roberts to the west. At low tide this is a large tidal flat that is heavily silted from the outflow of the Serpentine and Nicomekl Rivers. Mud Bay is an indentation of Boundary Bay at the mouth of the Serpentine and Nicomekl Rivers. Both are important wild life refuges.
A district of Surrey located east of the Patullo Bridge and in clear view of the bridge. Originally many employees of the BC Penitentiary, across the Fraser, lived here and rowed back and forth to work. The residential area has been changing as industry has expanded in the area along the river.
This site was originally a small seasonal village, Kikalt, of the Kwantlen people on the south bank of the Fraser across the river from their main camp at Skalametl (present day New Westminster). Ebenezer Brown, a New Westminster liquor merchant, pre–empted the Kwantlen’s Kikalt camp and built a hotel on part of his property and subdivided the remainder into lots. In time this settlement became known as Brownsville. (See Brownsville) It was the southern ferry slip for the ferry between Surrey and New Westminster.(See Crossing the Fraser)
The community that developed from the former Brown’s Landing. It held the wharf for the ferry terminus from Surrey to New Westminster. At its height it had four hotels, the terminus of the New Westminster Southern Railway, and the beginnings of Yale Road and the Semiahmoo Road. Brownsville declined with the opening of the New Westminster Rail Bridge in 1904.(See Brownsville)
A camp established by the American Boundary Commission while surveying the international boundary in 1857–59. It became the main base of American operations while surveying, clearing and marking the boundary. The area is currently called Semiahmoo Park.(See Camp Semiahmoo)
This district of Surrey is located between 120th and 132nd Streets and north of 96th to about 104th Avenue. This area has northern views of the Fraser River and New Westminster. It was known for the cedar trees that adorned the slopes.
This hill encountered when traveling west along Crescent Road. The hill is located just west of Chantrell Creek. Harry Chantrell homesteaded in the area and farmed his holdings in the Mud Bay/Elgin area. Harry was also the first president of the Surrey Agricultural Society and an early Customs Officer at Port Elgin and Douglas.(see Customs)
The creek that drains the southern upland west of 140th Street and east of 132nd Street into the Nicomekl River. It is located near the foot of Chantrell Hill and is named after Harry Chantrell.
The creek that drains the northern Clayton uplands, flows under Harvey Road and empties into the Serpentine River near Fry’s Corner.
The hill on Fraser Highway (former Yale Road) that rises from the Serpentine Valley east through the district of Clayton towards Langley.
The original name for the District that is centered by Cloverdale. The Shannon Brothers homesteaded the area and named the valley after the abundance of clover in the area.
The station on the New Westminster Southern Railway. The town site around the station was laid out by Joe Shannon and by the early 1890s subdivided lots were sold.(See Cloverdale)
The creek that drains east Cloverdale and the Clayton uplands. The creek runs in a culvert under Fraser Downs, Cloverdale Fairgrounds, the Cloverdale by–pass and then runs on the east side of 168th Street south to the Nicomekl River
The 121st meridian of longitude that cuts the international boundary and Semiahmoo Bay. This point became the base line or meridian that became the basis of the land survey in the lower Fraser Valley. The slash line was later improved by local farmers to become a road. It is presently 168th Street.(See Coast Meridian Road)
The hill on Coast Meridian Road that rises from the Nicomekl River Valley and rises south to the crest of the hill in Sunnyside.
This creek drains west Newton west into Delta and then north into the Fraser River.
A district of Surrey north of Mud Bay and the mouth of the Serpentine River. It began as a station on the Victoria Terminal Railway but was renamed Colebrook in 1909 when the Great Northern Sea line route opened. The original intent was to name the district Coldbrook but in registering the name it was modified to Cole rather than Cold.(See Sea Line Route)
Two control dams exist. One on each of the Serpentine and Nicomekl Rivers. They close their gates to hold back the high salt water tides and open with the pressure of upstream water as the tide recedes. They are maintained by the Surrey Dyking Commission.(See Surrey Dyking District)
Refers to a subdivision west of Cloverdale, but south east of Surrey Centre, where the street patterns are named after varieties of cows.
Also known as Crescent Beach. It is a beach front community built on a spit south of the mouth of the Nicomekl River.
Crescent Beach refers to the residential area seaward of the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe track on the western edge of the South Surrey uplands. It is presently a residential area that expands significantly in the summer as people come to the beach on warm sunny days, to stroll the promenade.(See Crescent Beach)
Located on the northeast corner of 16th Avenue and 168th Street, Darts Hill is an unique legacy which has been donated to the citizens of the City of Surrey by Edwin and Francisca Darts. It consists of 7.5 acres of horticultural richness without equal in North America for its variety of rare and precious plants, shrubs and trees, having been developed over the past 55 years.
Initially the property was an orchard planted with fruit trees including apple, pear, apricot, peach and plum and also walnut and filbert trees. The orchard was so successful that Mr. Darts won the only gold medal ever awarded by the Pacific National Exhibition in that exhibit category. However it was an exhibit by the Alpine Garden Club of BC at the PNE that stirred their interest and enthusiasm for horticulture which became Mrs. Dart’s passion.
A district of Surrey along the international boundary that is located between Highway 15 (176th Street) and Highway 99 (168th Street). The residential development is primarily within two blocks of the border.
A district of Surrey east along the Nicomekl River and centered on East Kensington Heritage School on 184th Street. This area developed as one of the early agricultural areas of Surrey.
Elgin was pronounced with the hard “g" instead of the Eljin which seems most common today. It is located west of the junction of King George Highway and Crescent Road. J. Alex McDougal and his family acquired land on both sides of the Nicomekl river. He named the stopping point where the Semiahmoo trail crossed the Nicomekl River, Elgin, after the place in Scotland where he was born. In the 1880s and 1890s the community contained; a hotel, a customs office, sawmill, and a number of residential homes.(See Elgin, Port Elgin)
The creek that enters the Nicomekl River at Elgin. It drains the southern upland from the east of 140th Street and to the west of 148th Street. It is a fish bearing stream that has been restocked by neighbours and Surrey provides water for the Smoltz, in the dry summer, from one of its wells near Soft Ball City.
Refers to the hill on the Delta–Surrey border where originally the Ladner Trunk Road rose up the buff to meet the McLellan Road. The name is also associated with the hill on Highway 10 that arises from the Delta lowlands to the uplands of Surrey.
A district of Surrey that began as a heavily wooded area between the junction of Yale Road and Johnston Road (Fraser Highway and 152nd Street) and Yale Road and Pike Road (Fraser Highway and 160th Street). The Fleetwood Family settled the area in the vicinity of Yale and Pike Roads. After Arthur Thomas (Tom) Fleetwood was killed in action overseas in World War I, his sister Edith applied to the Provincial Government for a charter to name her community in remembrance of Tom.(See Fleetwood)
A Surrey District park in the Fleetwood area that is named after the district. It is located east of Fleetwood Secondary School on 84th Avenue.
A trail built by contractors, on behalf of the Governor Douglas of the Colony of Vancouver Island, to link Semiahmoo Bay at the mouth of the Campbell River to Fort Langley. Miners who had been disembarked at Semiahmoo (present Blaine) on the American side of the boundary could follow this trail to Fort Langley where the government could collect a mining license fee from them. The fees collected were intended to finance the maintenance of law and order in the colony during the British Columbia Gold Rush of 1858.(See Pre–settlement Trails)
A District of Surrey located north of Highway 1 and centered on 160th Street. It was a lightly developed area until the opening of the Port Mann Bridge and the Guildford Shopping Centre in 1964. The easy access north across the Fraser brought rush of development as a residential area.
The major river that flows westward on the northern border of the City of Surrey. Named after Simon Fraser who descended the river in 1808.
Fraser Surrey Docks, in Port Metro Vancouver, is a modern multi–purpose marine terminal that has been serving the shipping industry since 1964 and is the largest facility of its kind on the west coast of North America. Fraser Surrey Docks is located along the banks of the Fraser River in Surrey, British Columbia, and is able to handle containers, breakbulk cargos and project cargos of any size, which combines very well with the strong onsite rail solution at the terminal.
Port Metro Vancouver is the fourth largest tonnage port in North America, and is comprised of 28 major marine cargo terminals and three Class 1 railroads, providing a full range of facilities and services to the international shipping community.
The original junction of the Yale Road and the New Westminster Southern Railway. Presently it is the junction of Highway 15 and Fraser Highway. In 1925 William Fry opened a gas station. The site was subject to flooding and the parking area had to be built on heavy pilings and the house built on stilts. As traffic conditions changed the station was closed and the buildings demolished. In the winters between the 1920s and 1950s, the flooded fields froze over. The local young people met there to skate.
James and Elfriede De Wolf have owned approximately 5.0 acres of land located at 561 172nd Street since 1994. The De Wolfs purchased the property because of its gardens that contain a regionally important collection of more than 1600 Rhododendrons displayed in a pastoral woodland setting. The gardens that make up The Glades were created in the 1950’s by Murray Steven and his wife Lydia, but had become somewhat rundown by the 1980’s and early 90’s. After purchasing the property, the De Wolfs spent considerable time and resources restoring the gardens and the primary residence to their earlier glory. The Glades is renowned in the Pacific Northwest, and has received considerable attention from the press over several decades. For the last few years, The Glades has been host to charitable fund–raising special events such as the Peach Arch Hospital’s Mother’s Day Tea, which attracted approximately 3000 people in May 2002.
Once referred to the “majestic forest" that tourists traveled up the Yale Road to marvel at. Green Timbers refers also to the surrounding area – the properties distributed to many European settlers, with the mandate to build homes and farms, and to remove the great stumps left after the logging was over. The area was from Johnston Road to King George Hwy, from Hunt Road (80th) to 100th Avenues. Obviously, “Green Timbers" refers to the Urban Forest planted in the 1930s, and the Green Timbers Nursery (c.1930 to 2005) which provided evergreen seedlings for reforestation projects all over BC. The Forest and Nursery occupied one square mile the areas between 140th and 148th Streets, 92nd and 100th Avenues, with an extra section north of 100th along 148th. It was mandated by the Ministry of Foresty to replant trees following BC’s major logging industry, so this regulation kept Green Timbers Nursery busy all those years, growing a billion seedlings in its time.
A District of Surrey located east of Whalley and north of the Fleetwood District. It is centered on 152nd Street and 104th Avenue. It has developed as a major commercial and residential area.
A major commercial complex centered on Guildford Mall. It opened in 1964 shortly after the opening of the Port Mann Bridge. It is located as a regional shopping centre to service Coquitlam, Surrey and Langley where easy access is along Highway 1.
A district of Surrey located around the Campbell River and 8th avenue east of Highway 15. It was an area of meadow land where an early trapper, Sam Hall and his native wife, lodged in a cabin while working his trap lines in the area. It is centered on the present Halls Prairie School. The district also goes by the name of Hazelmere.(See Hazelmere)
Henry T. Thrift gave this name to the area around his pre-emption near North Bluff Road and Halls Prairie Road (16th Avenue and 184th Street). The name was chosen to promote settlement of the area in the 1880s to 1890s. Hazelmere was also a station on the New Westminster Southern Railway. The district corresponds to that of Halls Prairie.(See Hazelmere)
A park area of Surrey along 192nd Street as the land rises south of the Nicomekl River.
An island formed from a meander in the Nicomekl River east of 152nd Street (Johnston Road) when farmers dug a channel through the neck of the meander to shorten navigation on the river.
The boundary between Canada and the United States is also the southern boundary of Surrey. Zero Avenue runs along the Canadian side of the border. The border is the 49th parallel of latitude.
A Surrey Park west of 150th Street in the Port Mann District.
A pioneer District of Surrey named after James Johnston who, along with two sons, Isaac and William, pre–empted land and settled north of Mahood Creek on what became Johnston Road (152nd Street). With the construction of the BC Electric Railway the name for area station was Sullivan. Thereafter , Sullivan became the dominant name for the district.(See the Johnston Family)(See Sullivan)
A District of Surrey and North Delta centered on a 40 acre land holding by James Kennedy at the corner of Scott Road and Kennedy Road (120th Street and 88th Avenue). An early commercial center developed here.
Refers to the high land above the Fraser River in the north east sector of Surrey.
A District Park located on the east side of 120th Street between 88th Avenue and 96th Avenue at 9058 Holt Road. It provides a Picnic Area, Washrooms, Sports Field, Ball Diamond, Tennis Courts, Natural Area Trails, and Walking Paths.
The first man made trail in the lower mainland from the Fraser River south to Mud Bay and the meadowland of the Serpentine Valley near Woodward’s Hill. James Kennedy was the first person to pre–empt land on the south side of the Fraser River in what is now the Annieville area of North Delta. His trail rose up the escapement from his 1860 pre–emption to the high ground above the river. It followed the contours of the land across what later became North Delta and Surrey. As it approached Panorama Ridge the trail branched south to what is now Colebrook, and the other branch headed east, to the yet to be named Woodwards Hill, and then down to the meadowland next to the Serpentine River.(See Kennedy Trail)
A district of Surrey named by H.T. Thrift to promote settlement of the area. The region is south of the Nicomekl River and then south to the southern upland. It extended from the Semiahmoo Road (King George Boulevard) east to the New Westminster Southern Railway line. It is a rich agricultural area.
Is a District Park based on an original 40-acre Kwantlen Reserve. Tree burial was common among the Kwantlen and the most favoured site were the trees along the bluff behind the Kikait village, later Brownsville, over–looking the Fraser River. The deceased were placed in a burial boxes and large boxes were left on the ground, but smaller boxes would then be placed in a tree. With white settlement the natives were persuaded to take down and rebury their dead in a burial ground. Father Durieu had the boxes hauled to a burial ground between the Yale and Roebuck Roads. This later became a 40–acre Kwantlen reserve on what was possibly a historic hunting camp bordering a small lake. Surrey bought the Kwantlen Reserve from the Royal Kwantlen No. 2 Reserve of the McMillan Island Band and later designated it parkland.(See Kwantlen)
Was a station on the New Westminster Southern Railway on the Fraser River, west of Bon Accord (later Port Mann) and east of Brownsville.(See The Railway Era)
A tributary creek of the Serpentine River that drains the south Newton area and flows through Sullivan and into the Serpentine.
Crosses 8th Avenue mid-way between 160th Street and 164th Street to drain south into the Campbell River. It drains the southern uplands of Surrey from west of 168th and east of 160th Street. It is named for a family who lived next to the McNally ravine south of 8th Avenue.
Located along Highway 1 east of 152nd Street. Charlie Perkins came home from World War I and many of his war chums did not return. So many had been killed that he chose a beautiful big tree back on his property and planted ivy at its base and made a little natural park around it. It was Charlie’s means of remembering his fallen comrades. When the right–of–way for Highway 1 was being cleared the engineers determined that the tree had to go. Charlie took action and sat in a chair with a gun across his knees defying the bulldozers. The public sympathy forced the Provincial Highways department to divert the highway around the tree. In subsequent years, vandals set fire to the base of the tree and killed it. It then had to be topped for safety reasons.
A tributary creek to the Nicomekl River. It drains the north side of the southern upland between 164th on the east and 152nd on the west. A new subdivision and golf course have presently taken on the name of the creek that runs through them.
A small indentation on the west side of Boundary Bay. It is heavily silted as it contains the mouths of both the Serpentine and Nicomekl River. It is located north east of Crescent Beach and Blackie’s Spit.
A commercial center around King George Highway and 72nd Street. It began as a station on the British Columbia Electric Railway. As a district it extends from 152nd Street on the east to 120th Street on the west.(See Newton)
A railway bridge over the Fraser River linking New Westminster and Surrey. It was opened in 1904, two years after the Canadian Pacific Railway monopoly clause expired. Originally it was a multi–purpose bridge with the rail span, a single lane traffic span on top along with hydro power lines, and a water main. It is a swing span which allows navigation of the Fraser River, and it is shared by the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway, the Canadian National Railway and the Southern BC Railway.(See Sea line Route)
A river that is located just north of the southern uplands and drains the north slope of the uplands as well as east Surrey and central Langley. It was an early route linking Semiahmoo and Boundary Bays via a portage over Langley Prairie to the Salmon River and Fort Langley.(See Camp Semiahmoo)
A district and local commercial center in the south western section of Surrey. Originally, the giant trees were located in a park like setting overlooking Semiahmoo and Boundary Bays. In 1905–06 a former Methodist Minister W. Pascoe Goard, from Winnipeg, through his agent H.T. Thrift, obtained 136 acres in what is now Ocean Park. The parcel was bounded by the present Broach (130th Street), North Bluff (16th Avenue), and the waterfront. He divided his holdings in five–acre blocks which he sold for $1,250 each to a number of men who became known as the Syndicate. The western end of this block of land was designated as a park and was named Ocean Park.(See Ocean Park)
The logging ditch is located in Kensington Prairie and went through Thomas Fallowfield’s property. The logging ditch drains the southern upland area east from 162nd Street and west of 168th Street. Loggers deepened the natural steam that drained the Sunnyside uplands. The water would be dammed and logs moved into the holding pond. At the end of a daily logging session the water would be released carrying the logs down to the Nicomekl River where they were floated down to the booming grounds in Elgin.(See Logging in South Surrey)
The ridge of land west of 152nd Street and rising north of the Serpentine lowlands and the District of Colebrook. The ridge area provides spectacular views of the Serpentine–Nicomekl lowlands and the seasonal changes on the agricultural land.
A traffic bridge built during the mid-1930s as a great depression works project. It opened in 1937 and provided an improved road link between New Westminster and Surrey. It was named after BC Premier Duff Pattullo.
A memorial arch to peace built after the First World War to commemorate over 100 years of peace between Canada and the United States. Sam Hill was the person largely responsible for the concept, the design and the construction of the Arch. The Arch was officially opened in 1921.(See Peace Arch)
The area immediately around the Peace Arch was initially occupied by small homes and small holdings. A money raising campaign among British Columbia school children provided the funds to buy out the local land owners and establish the park. This is the only Provincial Park in British Columbia that is maintained by the province.(See Peace Arch)
After the completion of the Patullo Bridge in 1937, a new highway south was under construction. To avoid the steep grades of Snake Hill on Old Yale Road, a lower grade hill was created which angled up the southern uplands of the Fraser to Whalley. This hill was known as Peterson Hill. It was probably named after an early land owner on the lower part of the hill.
Port Kells was originally founded along the Fraser River by two men both named Henry Kells. The younger Henry Kells married the elder Henry Kells’ sister Mary Ann. The brothers–in–law formed a partnership and bought one square mile of land along the river front in what is today the Port Kells District of Surrey and West Langley. They laid out a town site dividing the property into city sized lots. The first post office and store was built, by the elder Henry Kells, near the present wharf. When Henry left the district, the store and post office was moved a quarter mile west and was owned by John Latta. After 1891 the Post Office was moved to the Port Kells station. The town site along the Fraser River did not flourish and when the New Westminster and Southern Railway was being built the partners gave some 16 acres to the NWSR to ensure a station in Port Kells. The station was located just north of the junction of Broadway (now Harvey Road and 190th Street at 88th Avenue). A small commercial core developed that included a sawmill, a store, a community hall, and a church all of which grew up south of the station at Holt/Davis Road (now 88th Ave. and Harvey Road). Port Kells never grew into the thriving town site the Kells brothers envisioned. It had a strong agricultural base and many early settlers farmed in the area. The spur line to the Fraser River brought logs to be dumped and boomed for movement down the river to the mills in New Westminster. In addition a number of small milling operations operated along the Fraser within the Port Kells town site. Today the Port Kells District of Surrey and West Langley is a center for both light and heavy industry that is primarily focused on transportation and distribution.(See Early Settlement Centres)
This centre was originally called Bon Accord and was upstream on the Fraser River from Brownsville. Initially, it was a location where steamboats on their way to Fort Langley and Yale nudged ashore to take on wood and leave mail and supplies. A number of fishermen had the shacks there. After 1891, Bon Accord developed as a station on the New Westminster and Southern Railway. When the section of railway from Brownsville to Port Kells was sold to the Canadian Northern Pacific railway in 1914 (Canadian National after 1917), Bon Accord became the link for ferry and barge service to Vancouver Island. However, the CNR found it difficult to compete with the service provided by the Canadian Pacific out of Vancouver Harbour. After the line was purchased by the Canadian Northern the site was renamed Port Mann. Today the old community has disappeared under the Marshalling yards of the Canadian National Railway and is dominated from above by the Port Mann bridge.(See Early Settlement Centres)
This Surrey Park is located south of 20th Avenue between Highway 15 and 184th Street. Redwood Park is situated on a steeply sloping wooded hill. It was once part of the homestead of early pioneer, David Brown. When his twin sons, David and Peter, were 21 he gave them each 40 acres on the hilltop which had been logged. They immediately began to replant it with exotic species of trees from around the world. Today, Redwood Park is a major collection of exotic tree species, particularly evergreens. David and Peter lived on the property all their lives, becoming more solitary and eccentric. Eventually they built a two–storey tree house, which they lived in for many years. Though it burned down more than once, it has been rebuilt and is still a feature of the park.
Is currently a walking path leading from Crescent Road down the escarpment to Bay View Drive and Crescent Beach. It was part the original route to Crescent Beach and Walter Blackie’s cabin. It comes out onto the beach just behind the original cabin’s location.
A tributary creek to the Little Campbell River. It drains the southern uplands of Surrey west of 176th Street and east White Rock north of Buena Vista Avenue. It enters the Campbell River in Peace Portal Golf Course and was named after Sam Hill who began the construction of The Semiahmoo club which included the golf course.(See Peace Arch)
The name is that of the bay south of Surrey and White Rock and to the east Drayton Harbour and Blaine. It is also the name given to the First Nation People who inhabited the shores of the Bay at the time of original white contact.(see Semiahmoo People)
The name is that of the bay south of Surrey and White Rock and Drayton Harbour and Blaine to the east.(See the Legend of White Rock)
The club was started in 1956 by a group anxious to restore the little Campbell River to normal following years of gravel removal from the headwaters. In 1978 a 29 acre site on 184th Street in the Hazelmere Valley became available and was purchased by the club. Spawning channels were dug and eventually a hatchery was built and opened in 1983.
The newest and biggest project to date has been the large building on the south side of the river. Completed in 1994, it allows larger groups of people to meet and is often used as a classroom to show videos and other presentations to the club members and local children on their tours of the hatchery. It is also one of the most sought after facilities for weddings and is booked far in advance.
The reserve is located south of 8th Avenue and west of Highway 99. Its western boundary is the point that 8th Avenue meets Semiahmoo Bay. It is accessed by Beach Road from Highway 99 just north of the Canada Customs or a foot bridge at the south end of 160th Street or Stayte Road.
A park located on the western end of the Semiahmoo First Nations reservation. It contains a ball park, a parking area and a treed park-like area with a band shell. It is also the site of the bands’ grave yard. It was the site of Camp Semiahmoo and the Campbell River Saw Mill.(See Camp Semiahmoo)(See Milling in South Surrey)
The river that drains central and northern Surrey. Its winding, meandering course has given it the name Serpentine.
The hill east of Cloverdale on Highway 10. This hill ran through the Shannon Brothers holdings.
The steep hill that was shared by the Yale Road and the Semiahmoo Road where the road rose up from the Fraser River’s south shore to the top of the uplands.
A Surrey park that borders the Urban Forest in South Surrey. It contains four ball diamonds that center on an equipment centre and a restaurant. The fields are lighted to facilitate evening baseball.
A District of Surrey on the south bank of the Fraser River and west of King George Boulevard. A strip of land along the south bank of the Fraser was granted to New Westminster in the 1880s and in return New Westminster was responsible for the ferry service and the landing wharfs on both sides of the river. The land was legally returned to Surrey in 1927.(See Crossing the Fraser)
Sullivan has been known as the Johnston Settlement, Sullivan Station, as well as Sullivan. It is the district that is centred on 152nd Street and 64th Avenue. It is a heritage centre and former economic heart of Surrey. At one time it was a major logging, lumber milling, and shingle manufacturing community that had an important station on the BC Electric Railway. More recently it has become a rapidly growing residential and local commercial center.(See Sullivan)
Is a local region that extends along the spine of the southern uplands of South Surrey. It is centered on 24th Avenue or Sunnyside Road from 184th Street to 140th Street. With more sunshine and reduced rainfall, it was the sunnyside of Surrey.
Developed near the junction of the Old McLellan Road and Coast Meridian Road (60th Avenue and 168th Street). Surrey Municipality was established November 10, 1879. The earliest council meetings were held in private homes around the District but it was decided that a town hall needed to be established in a central location. Abraham Huck donated an acre of land at Surrey Centre and a contract was let for a building of 20 feet by 30 feet. Town Hall was completed and the first meeting held on May 2nd 1881. The building continued to be the seat of Municipal government in Surrey until 1912, when a fine new Municipal Hall was built in Cloverdale. The original Town Hall was moved to the new Surrey Fairgrounds in 1938, where it is now incorporated as part of Surrey Senior Center. Surrey Centre was eclipse with the rise of Cloverdale as a transportation hub, a commercial centre, and administrative centre. Today the district is a rapidly growing residential area.(See Surrey Centre)
Most of the permanent settlers at Tynehead arrived in the years between 1885 and 1900. Three Bothwell brothers; James, Thomas and William arrived from Montreal about 1885 and set about building a residence so that William could send for his wife and five children. Other settlers including the Beaton, Atchison, Davis, Hicks, Gillis, McCaskill, Paris, and Drinkwater families homesteaded the land and went about the business of clearing the land for farms, and constructing their new homes, and buildings for livestock. The Bothwell brothers attempted to have the Canadian Post Office recognize the community by name of “Bothwell", but this name was turned down since there was already a “Bothwell" in Ontario. They then settled on the name Tynehead since the community was located at the headwaters of the Serpentine River.(See Tynehead)
A regional park in the Tynehead District that is bordered on the north by the Highway 1 and on the south by 96th Avenue, on the east by Highway 15, and on the west by 161st Street.(See Tynehead)
A Surrey park located west of King George Boulevard and south of 72nd Avenue in Newton.
A district of Surrey that originally grew around Whalley’s Gas Station. The enlarged district is currently known as the Central City District. The district has grown to be a major commercial core.(See Whalley)
A City on the southern border of Surrey. It was once part of Surrey but separated as an independent political authority in 1958. It is named after the large rock that sits on the foreshore of Semiahmoo Bay.(See The Legend of White Rock)(See White Rock)
The hill, on King George Boulevard, which rises up on the north from the Serpentine lowlands. The hill was named after William Woodward who pre–empted land in the vicinity and built his home on the hill.(See Woodward Family)